Thursday, September 25, 2008

New Stage

I have just recently started a new journey in my career as a fitness instructor.
I have been teaching for almost 6 months now and I am just getting my feet wet. Last Friday I completed my NewBody training, NewBody is a program exclusive to Goodlife Fitness. Training was difficult to say the least, I spent 12 hours in the gym and most of the time we were moving. NewBody is my first discipline that I am training for. In the next couple weeks I will be flying to Toronto for a weekend of Attack training and a weekend of combat training. These trainings are so intense that you don't eat all weekend and you live off of power aid or some other supplement drink. I am totally physiced for the Attack training, it is so up my ally. Attack is super high cardio, I wore my heart rate monitor last week to class and worked so hard that I took my body from a aerobic workout to an anaerobic workout. Anaerobic doesn't burn as many calories but builds muscle, it all has to do with your heart rate. At one point my heart rate was at 101 % ( which is possible, it means that for my age and size my peak heart rate is 190 beats per minute, I was above that for a time being).

Going back to NewBody, I don't think anyone realizes what fitness instructors do to get ready for there classes. I am in the process of getting my video ready to become totally certified. I eat, sleep and breath NewBody right now. I team teach as many classes as I possibly can and have spent countless hours in front of the video at home.
A couple nights ago I woke Evan at 2:00 a.m. just to practice, lets just say he wasn't to happy with me at the time.
All I think about is NewBody, which is good at the moment but it worries me for the next couple weeks. My Attack and combat training are only two weeks apart and they are far more intense then the NewBody training.
At this time I am also running a skipping program on Friday evenings and I teach anywhere from 4-8 time per week, starting to feel stretched a little thin.
At the moment I am thinking about dropping the skipping program and just focusing on my disciplines at least until after Christmas.

I don't think this post is going anywhere I just needed to write and get things out of my head. It is also midnight and I am team teaching tomorrow morning so have about an hour of work to do yet tonight.

I love my job and wouldn't ever want to change anything, I need to figure out how to structure my life better. My family has eaten out for the last 3 night because I haven't had time to cook. We pride ourselves on eating healthy so this week has been a huge blow. My house also looks like a bomb went off in it, no time to clean and when Evan gets home in the evening I leave and he takes care of the kids. Evan works extremely hard at his job and I totally understand why all he wants to do is lay down on the couch.
If anyone has any suggestions about how to better stream line my house please let me know, I am open to anything right now.

6 comments:

Jolene said...

I am in the process of organizing my house so I can be on top of things when I go back to work. I find it really helpful when I am working to make a menu for the week (I am actually planning on making a four month rotation of menus). This takes away the time of thinking of what to make and also allows you to freeze stuff ahead or get some steps done here and there so it doesn't take as much time. I am also working on a weekly cleaning schedule instead of trying to clean the whole house at once. If I find any tips while I'm planning for my household I will let you know. My body is jealous of all the exercise your body is getting by the way. :)

Lena said...

Hey Mel,
My suggestion would be to focus on one thing at a time. I face all the time things I would love to get into- but if I add one more thing I know I will be stretched too thin... much like you are feeling.

If you have one thing you are into you can pour all your energy into that and still have time to be focused on your family as well- which is important.

The meal thing I agree is difficult, and it does take planning just like Jo described. I am not the greatest at it either- but it does get easier over time (I have been finding anyway).

Tara said...

for cleaning...I write one or two things down per week that I should clean (like bathroom or vacuum) so I know that week that's all I have to clean :-) then I don't feel I have to do it all at the same time. The only problem is the continous pile of dishes...

Anonymous said...

Hey Mel, I pop into your blog here and there and really enjoy your honesty. I think its awesome that you've found a career you really love! Keep up the good work, if you ever move back to MB maybe you can whip my sad post babies body into shape:-)
I make a menu every week, and it's awesome, we save money and always eat well. I was finding that we too, were eating take out more than we should've when I didn't have a menu and was floundering last minute at what to make for supper-and I don't even work outside the home-how pathetic am I:-)I've been at the menu thing for a while now and love it!
My cousin loves "Fly Lady" for getting a house organized. I looked at the website(she has books too) and they have super practical and good tips at keep house kept up without it feeling overwhelming. Meh, housework. I think it should clean itself.
I think it's flylady.com but you could google it too.
Charis (Fast)

Evan and Mel said...

Thanks so much for the responses.
I do have a menu plan, I have a huge dry erase board on my kitchen wall and I plan meals on there for the week.
I have the plan done and the food in the house, I just am not finding the time to cook it.
I am going to try preparing as many of the meals on the weekend and freeze them so all I have to do is take it out of the freezer in the morning and put it in the oven in the afternoon.
I HATE housework with a passion, thank for the idea Tara to only do one or two things a day. I am going to start trying that and hopefully I will not feel so over whelmed.

~L~ said...

Hi Mel,
Found your blog through Facebook and love checking in once and awhile. I don't have any secrets, but my cousin does, she's a mom of three and a full time education student who also volunteers a lot, and so I'll let you know her tricks. She also loves flylady.com for organizing, and for meals she does what's known as OAMC (Once a Month Cooking) she spends one day or two per month cooking a bunch of meals and then freezing them, so all she has to do is re-heat them and they are good to go. She uses Recipezaar.com for her OAMC menus, and used to even have a forum. I have tried it and loved having the easy access to fast, healthy meals that I don't have to slave over after a long day at work. And a hubby could just as easily re-heat them as well : )
Hang in there, you'll find things that work!